What Is Acid Reflux and GERD?
Acid reflux happens when acid from your stomach flows back (reflux) into your oesophagus (food pipe). Many people have acid reflux once in a while, but in some cases, it may irritate or damage the lining of the oesophagus.
If you have symptoms of acid reflux more than twice a week, you might have a condition known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). This is a more severe and longer-lasting condition in which the symptoms faced are constant or leads to complications over time.
If you suspect that you may have GERD, you should see a doctor.
Acid reflux treatment Singapore
Acid reflux surgery Singapore
What are some potential complications of GERD?
In most cases, GERD can be treated easily, but in some, it can lead to serious or even life-threatening health problems.
Potential complications of GERD include:
- tooth enamel erosion, gum disease, or other dental problems
- asthma, chronic cough, or other breathing problems, which may develop if you breath stomach acid into your lungs
- oesophagitis, an inflammation of your oesophagus
- oesophageal stricture, which happens when your oesophagus narrows or tightens
- Barrett’s oesophagus, involving permanent changes to the lining of your oesophagus
- oesophageal cancer, which affects a small portion of people with Barrett’s oesophagus
To lower your chances of complications, it’s see your doctor early and discuss your best treatment options.
HERE AT KYM SURGERY, WE BELIEVE IN PROVIDING HOLISTIC & COMPREHENSIVE MEDICAL CARE FOR ALL PATIENTS.